J-1 Visa Trainee Program
The J-1 Visa Program is not created to permit US companies to fill the position of a regular employee. The purpose of the J-1 Trainee Program is to provide J-1 applicants with opportunities for professional growth, relevant experience in the field chosen for training, and a better understanding of the US society and culture. J-1 trainees are expected to share the professional knowledge acquired in the US upon returning to their country. It is also true that this particular J-1 visa allows participants to receive a stipend as any other employee of the company.
If you want to apply for a J-1 trainee visa, if you are considering whether the J-1 trainee visa is the appropriate visa for you, please contact us, email our US Attorney, or take the time to complete the J1 Visa Assessment Form. You may also complete the General Assessment Form if you are not sure which visa would be suitable for you.
In order to apply, the prospective J-1 trainee must:
- Have found a US Company, which per J-1 visa purposes is called Host Company, willing to offer a training for up to 18 months or an internship for up to 12 months in one of the following fields: Information, Media, Communications, Management, Business, Commerce, Finance, the Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics, or Law
- Know English well enough to perform successfully in the proposed training/intern position
- Be enrolled in and pursuing studies at a degree-or certificate-granting post-secondary academic institution outside of the United States; or
- Be graduated from such an institution no more than 12 months prior to the program begin date, and intend to enter the United States to participate in a structured and guided work-based internship program in your specific academic field; or
- Have a degree or professional certificate from a foreign post-secondary academic institution and at least one year of prior related work experience in your occupational field acquired outside the United States, or
- Five years of work experience outside the United States in your occupational field, and intend to enter the United States to participate in a structured and guided work-based training program in your specific occupational field.
An applicant who wishes to apply for a J-1 visa must before obtain the Certificate of Eligibility Form from the Government Designated Organization. Upon successful result of the first part of this process with the Designated Organization and upon receipt of the Certificate of Eligibility, it will be possible to start the request for the actual J-1 visa. As all visa applications process, an interview at the US Embassy or Consulate is required. The waiting time for an interview appointment for most J-1 applicants is a few weeks or less, but for some Embassy it can be considerably longer.
Our US attorney will assist J-1 applicants and their US Companies in completing the necessary documents and forms, in suggesting the correct content of letters, the necessity of certificates, licenses, and other supporting materials, and in providing orientation for the interviews.
- We will assess the applicant’s situation to establish whether applicant and US Company are qualified for a training/internship on the J-1 Visa
- We gather from the J-1 applicant and US Company the documents which are necessary for the application process
- We register with and liaise with the Department of State-designated organizations which are authorized to issue the Certificate of Eligibility form. The applicant needs this form in order to apply for the J-1 visa at the US Embassy or Consulate
- We help the prospective J1 trainee and the US Company to prepare a structured training plan that must be suitable to the prospective J-1 candidate’s qualifications and comply with the Program regulations in order to be approved.
- We ensure that the applicant and the US Company understand what is allowed and what is forbidden under the J-1 visa provisions. The full understanding of this aspect is essential in obtaining the visa because the knowledge of some salient point will be tested before approving the application
- We provide applicant with guidance in preparing the material and forms necessary for the interview at the US Embassy.